Book Review: Half Bad by Sally Green

Hey my lovelies, this weeks book review is Half Bad by Sally Green. I was happily surprised with this one. I really enjoyed it. It took me around three or four chapters to get into the book, due to the writing style, but after that I really got into it.


Title: Half Bad
Author: Sally Green
Publisher: Viking Books for Young Readers
Pub. Date: March 4th 2014
Date Read: March 21st 2015
Pages: 384
Rating:4.48/5 stars
Goodreads Summary:Wanted by no one.
Hunted by everyone.

Sixteen-year-old Nathan lives in a cage: beaten, shackled, trained to kill. In a modern-day England where two warring factions of witches live amongst humans, Nathan is an abomination, the illegitimate son of the world's most terrifying and violent witch, Marcus. Nathan's only hope for survival is to escape his captors, track down Marcus, and receive the three gifts that will bring him into his own magical powers—before it's too late. But how can Nathan find his father when there is no one safe to trust, not even family, not even the girl he loves?

Half Bad is an international sensation and the start of a brilliant trilogy: a gripping tale of alienation and the indomitable will to survive.

The beginning of Nathans story starts with many questions. Such as: why is Nathan in the situation that he is? What happened with his parents?

Spoilers below

Half Bad is about Nathans, a young witch or welp (witch who hasn't come into his powers yet), coming of age story. Nathan grew up with his Gran and half siblings. Nobody really likes him, due to the fact that his mother (a pure white witch) had a affair with a evil dark witch, which he is the result off. There is a animosity between him and his half siblings, due to the fact their mother commited suicide and his father murdered their father. 

It tells the story of who is really bad, the people you are told or the people who tell you. 

I really liked Nathan as a character , hopefully his character development shall continue into the sequel Half Wild. Which came out earlier this week. By the time this review has come out, I should be a proud owner of the second book in the trilogy.
The only thing that I never really seemed to get is I never saw Nathans relationship with Deborah, Arran and as siblings. They were more similar to friends than siblings. 


I was never really a fan of Annalise, I thought she could have done something more to stop her brothers or at least do something. Instead of staring at him in class and she definately seems like the type who would sell him out to her council member families. It really annoyed me that even though Nathan had not seen her in, what 3 to 5 years later he still trusted her. I know we don't know as of yet if she is there to betray him or not, but I still don't trust her. 

A character I have grown to love was Gabriel, he was great, I am now officially a firm Gabriel and Nathan shipper. Another character I liked was Rose, though I do feel that she was killed of far too soon, before we really got to know her well enough to care if she died. 

Nathans parentage seemed kind-off expected, I mean did he really believe that his mother just magically get impregnated by his father, rather than the fact they had sex? I know he could of raped her, but wouldn't she of just had an abortion, if that happened. Anyway I don't really get why he would think that, but oh well. Apart from those small things, I enjoyed it and give it a strong 4.48 stars (yes I like being difficult).

Thank you for reading my lovelies, this is it for this week, if you would like to see more of what I am currently reading you can check me out on GoodreadsInstagram and Twitter

Previous book Review: Captivate by Carrie Jones
Next Book Review: Half Wild by Sally Green
EnglishBlonde
x

0 comments: