Book Review : Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


Hey my lovelies, this weeks review is Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins. I have been trying to read this for awhile ever since I read Rebel Belle and loved it and if you read my February TBR, you will know that I was supposed to read it then. Sadly I didn't get round to it, so I read it on the 2nd of March. I rate this book about 3.5/5.0.



Title: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Hyperion
Pub. Date: March 2nd 2010
Date Read: 2nd March 2015
Pages: 323
Rating: 3.5/5 stars
SummaryThree years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father—an elusive European warlock—only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tag-along ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

To be honest I was a bit disappointed in this book, I adore Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins, it was awesome with a kick ass main character and a amazing plot. But I found Hex Hall was just lacking that humph that makes you want to read the sequel right now. I might read the rest of the books in the future, but not now, maybe if I need to read a book and I'm bored or something.

I'm indecisive about the cover, apart of me really likes it the way its a double. But then some of it makes me think why? What is the point of the double? Is she a twin? No. Is that explained in the sequels?

Sophie was an alright main character, she wasn't really anything special and the supporting cast were just there, nothing interesting a bit 2D. The plot was okay, you could have guessed the ending and the sort-off cliffhanger the end has didn't want me to read the sequel, but it was okay.
I do think though that I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I had read Hex Hall before Rebel Belle due to Rebel Belle having a much higher standard of writing, plot and characters.

Sophies father is confusing, he supposedly loves her daughter to bits, so he sends her to the place where he can 'protect' her, which is also the place where her grandmother and great-grandmother died. And what was the change of heart in her mother at the end. From the beginning her mum wasn't slagging him of, but she wasn't being the nicest was she? And then she was talking about how amazing he is at the end. What the hell?

Anyway to the plot! At the beginning it wasn't really going anywhere, you were just trailing along for the ride, waiting for it to kickstart, but It only really did around 4 chapters from the end.

Spoilers Below
The trinity were annoying, ever since the first mentioning of a demon, I knew they had done it and killed Holly in the process. But really how did Anna and Elodie not notice that when they murdered Holly and the demon came for her, that Chaston their best friend had been attacked the same way. Or when it happened to Anna as well? How about when Elodie started hanging out with Alice? Could she not tell that she was the demon they raised?

I wasn't that shocked when it came out that Alice was a demon, or that Sophie had to kill her. I have to admit though I did expect to meet Sophies father, but no. The teachers were very 2D and when the headmistress wouldn't have that a demon was getting in, just uggh.

Thank you for reading my lovelies, this is it for this week, if you would like to see more of what I am currently reading you can check me out on GoodreadsInstagram and Twitter.


Previous Review: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
EnglishBlonde
x

0 comments: